(AmericanPoliticalDaily.com)- Following Spring Break parties that got out of control, Miami authorities have implemented an emergency 8 p.m. – 6 a.m. curfew for the Miami Beach area. It comes after partygoers trashed restaurants, fought in the street and gathered publicly in their thousands without wearing masks or practicing social distancing.
Florida is very much open during the COVID-19 pandemic, but these crowds took things too far.
City officials told a news conference that the curfew would come into place on Saturday nights and would apply to everybody in the area, including hotel guests and tourists hoping to enjoy some time in the sun.
Interim City Manager Raul Aguila also told the Miami Herald that he believes the rules should be kept in place through to April 12, cutting off any possibility of Spring Break parties causing similar problems in the streets.
“These crowds are in the thousands. We’re at capacity,” Aguila said.
The crowds really were huge. Take a look.
Here’s Miami Beach tonight, 10 minutes after new 8 p.m. city-wide curfew.
— Brooke Shafer (@BrookeShaferTV) March 21, 2021
Parties descended into chaos, with cars damaged in the street and people brawling in the roads.
A friend of mine recorded this in Miami Beach during spring break last night. pic.twitter.com/YHqjMB8eFL
— Grant Stern (@grantstern) March 19, 2021
The new curfew will mean no vehicles or pedestrians can enter the restriction area after 8 p/m. every night, and all businesses will be forced to close.
During the daytime, all alcohol is banned from the local beaches, and all tourists received cellphone text messages warning them to party responsibly.
“Spring break in Miami Beach may be one of the great rites of passage, but only if you plan on following the rules,’ the text reads. “Otherwise, you might as well just stay home and save yourself the court costs.”
The county already had a midnight curfew in place that was affecting local businesses, and this new curfew – prompted only by the lawlessness and thoughtlessness of partygoers – will hurt local businesses even more.
Last year, according to tourism officials in Miami, billions of dollars in trade were lost because of the COVID-19 lockdowns. Miami’s tourism board reportedly spent $5 million on a new national advertising campaign, its biggest in 20 years, but that could all prove pointless if the new curfew lasts much longer.