(AmericanPoliticalDaily.com)- According to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Twitter’s decision to ban users from sharing links to a New York Post story about Hunter Biden actually amplified the story.
Last week the New York Post published evidence that Hunter Biden leveraged his father’s position as vice president to make lucrative business deals abroad. Emails published in the report, which were obtained from a laptop that is believed to have been abandoned by Hunter Biden at a Delaware computer repair shop, were inaccurately deemed a product of “hacking” by Twitter, prompting them to stop people from sharing links to the story.
A report from MIT and another high-profile media intelligence company has suggested that the social media platforms’ efforts to stop people seeing the emails and the story “nearly doubled” its visibility.
“When Twitter banned, and then unbanned, links to a questionably sourced New York Post article about Joe Biden’s son Hunter, its stated intention was to prevent people from spreading harmful false material as America heads into the final stretch of the election campaign,” MIT’s Technology Review said on Monday. “But thanks to the cycle of information-and and claims from conservatives that social-media platforms are deliberately censoring their views-Twitter managed to do the opposite of what it intended.”
While MIT might claim that the article was questionably sourced, the emails published in the piece have been confirmed as authentic by various people in the chain of communication.
Sources told Fox News that the emails are authentic and that the words “big guy” that appear repeatedly in emails between Hunter Biden and his business colleagues refer to former Vice President Joe Biden.
The intelligence firm referenced by MIT on this matter was Zignal Labs. The company noted how shares of the article from the Post “nearly doubled” after Twitter started blocking it from being shared.
“Zignal found a surge of shares immediately after Twitter instituted the block, jumping from about 5.5 thousand shares every 15 minutes to about 10 thousand,” MIT reported. “This doesn’t necessarily mean the block caused the explosion in interest, but the surge correspondents with a series of widely shared tweets from Trump supporters and conservatives accusing the platform of political censorship.”
As of Monday, Twitter still has not unlocked the New York Post account and refuses to let the respected media outlet make posts. Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey has also not retracted the social media platform’s demonstrably false claims that the evidence presented in the report was obtained through hacking.