Prosecutors In Roger Stone Trial Take Their Ball And Go Home

(AmericanPoliticalDaily.com) – One day after recommending a federal prison sentence of seven to nine years for Roger Stone, and then having their words rebuffed by the Justice Department, all four prosecutors who were handling the case withdrew from the case. One of the prosecutors even quit his job!

Stone was convicted last November for his role in the alleged Russian interference in the 2016 election as uncovered by the Robert Mueller investigation. He is set to be officially sentenced later this month, and prosecutors earlier this week presented their incarceration recommendation — a standard practice, for sure.

What followed, though, was quite the dramatic scene. First, President Trump criticized the overbearing sentencing recommendation for his longtime friend, calling it “a miscarriage of justice.”

Then, senior officials at the Department of Justice — the bosses of the four prosecutors — said they were taken aback by the recommendation and planned to undercut it later on. Sources said the DOJ officials believed the sentencing recommendation to be “extreme, excessive and grossly disproportionate” and not up to their original expectations.

The newest court filing recommended much less federal prison time for Stone. Sources said the original prosecutors’ recommendation didn’t “accurately reflect the Department of Justice’s position on what would be a reasonable sentence in this matter.”

That apparently led the four prosecutors to withdraw from the case in a “take my ball and go home” response. They didn’t win, so they simply quit.

Trump took to Twitter to speak about Barr and the case, tweeting:

“Congratulations to Attorney General Bill Barr for taking charge of a case that was totally out of control and perhaps should not have even been brought. Evidence now clearly shows that the Mueller Scam was improperly brought & tainted. Even Bob Mueller lied to Congress!”

Trump also revoked a nomination for the former U.S. attorney in Washington, D.C., to a top post in the Treasury Department. That attorney helped supervise Stone’s case at trial.

Not surprisingly, Democrats quickly accused Trump of pressuring Attorney General William Barr to step in and help his friend Stone. Chuck Schumer, the Senate Minority Leader, said he planned to formally request that “the DOJ Inspector General must open an investigation immediately.

Eric Holder, the attorney general under former President Barrack Obama, said the entire move was “unprecedented” and “ultimately dangerous.”

Trump was asked point blank about his involvement by reporters who attended a bill signing Tuesday at the White House. He responded:

“I stay out of things to a degree that people wouldn’t believe, but I didn’t speak to them. I thought the recommendation was ridiculous. I thought the whole prosecution was ridiculous.”

The war of words is likely to ramp up again once Stone is officially handed his sentence on February 20, with Democrats expected to accuse the Trump administration of interfering in DOJ activity.